Nepal Telecommunications Authority is the telecommunications regulatory body of Nepal. From developing policies to auctioning the frequency spectrum, NTA plays an important role in the development of telecommunication in the country. It also monitors the service provided by different telecommunication service providers and takes necessary step to ensure quality is being delivered to the subscribers.
Recently NTA has started to take registrations of IMEI numbers of mobile phones. This is a step to discourage grey market. A grey market is an unofficial market in goods that have not been obtained from an official supplier. The Nepali people who are abroad bring mobile phones as gift to their closed ones in Nepal are great contributor to the grey market. And there are also channels that focuses on selling mobile phones which are stolen from the people of other nations. However to discourage and to develop a database of the IMEI numbers operating inside Nepal, NTA has stepped forward to accept the registrations directly from their web portal. The IMEI numbers which are registered only will operate inside Nepal.
If you are a new mobile phone importer or individual, you can register your phones by going to NTA’s IMEI registration website. Here are the steps to register IMEI phones online in Nepal.
- Visit NTA’s IMEI Registration Site.
- Sign up to login or register.
- Choose either New importer or Individual application.
- Click New register to put your phones IMEI with all the details like Brand name, mobile number, IMEI/ ESN / MEID number, Name, address, identification ( Citizenship or ID card or passport).
- Upload the identification ID photo (should be less than 3 MB)
- You also need to put your contact number or email.
- And you are done.
This system also helps to track or block your lost/stolen mobile phone only if you had registered in this system earlier. We suggest you to keep record of your mobile phone’s IMEI number before it is too late.